When you own a car, an oil filter is the device that filters the oil that is running through the engine of your car. Over time, the oil that is in your vehicle can attract dirt and debris that you do not want entering your engine, so having a good oil filter in your car is a way to protect your engine and extend its lifespan. Before we begin reviewing some of the great oil filters on the market, let’s take a look at the different types of oil filters that you can choose from.
Types of Oil Filters
- Primary Oil Filters – This is the type of filter that is used in most vehicles that you see on the road. This type filters all of the oil that is in the vehicle, which means that the large contaminants will easily be removed. Since the oil needs to lubricate the entire engine, the flow restrictions are not designed to keep out small debris. This ensures that clogs that could block the oil flow to the engine do not occur.
- Secondary Oil Filters – This type of oil filter is designed to filter smaller debris from the oil, so instead of filtering it all each time the oil cycles, it filters about ten percent at a time. Not all vehicles come with Secondary oil filters, but they often can be installed with ease to prolong the life of the oil in your car.
- Thermal Chamber Oil Filters – These oil filters are designed to filter debris from the oil in your car as well as burn off contaminants that may be in the oil. These types of filters require more energy than most, so it may affect the fuel efficiency of your vehicle.
- Spinner Oil Filters – This type of filter is also known as a centrifugal filter. It is designed to spin the oil and trap any debris that is found in the substance. This type of filter is effective, but it is not the most durable filter, so make sure to inspect it every three months of so.
- Magnetic Oil Filters – These oil filters are designed to remove impurities in the oil that are slightly magnetic. This will not be effective for dirt and dust of a non-metallic nature, so you will still need a primary filter as well.
Types of Filter Media
- Cellulose Filter Media – This type of paper filter media is often designed to be used in a disposable filter. This type of filter media is designed to clean 40 percent of the oil in your vehicle and remove particles that fall into the eight to ten micron range. Typically, they only last about 3,000 miles.
- Synthetic Media Filter – Synthetic media filters are a little more durable, so they are able to last for up to 7,000 miles before they need to be replaced. It can remove up to 50 percent of the debris between 20 and 40 microns as well as 24 percent of the dirt and debris in the eight to ten micron range.
- Microglass Filter Media – This type of oil filter media is designed for higher end filters because it is constructed from extremely fine fibers. This design also makes it so that you do not have to change this media frequently; in fact, it should last for up to 10,000 miles.
|Item||Best Design Feature||Price||Rating|
|Mobil 1 M1-110 Extended Performance Oil Filter||This device has a 99.6 percent multi-pass efficiency rating when it comes to debris removal.||$9.74||Stars 4.8/5|
|Royal Purple 10-2835 Extended Life Oil Filter||The synthetic media of this oil filter provides a level of filtration that extends the life of the filter.||$14.99||Stars 4.7/5|
|ACDelco PF2232 Professional Engine Oil Filter||It has a thermal adhesive seal that is designed to provide your vehicle with consistent filtration that is of the highest level.||$8.49||Stars 4.7/5|
|Bosch 3330 Premium FILTECH Oil Filter||This filter features an anti-drain back valve to ensure that contaminated oil is not the first thing reaching the engine of your car.||$6.99||Stars 4.8/5|
|Motorcraft FL2016 Oil Filter||It features a pressure release valve that continues to function in the event of a clog.||$17.14||Stars 4.9/5|
|WIX Filters – 51348 Spin-On Lube Filter||It has a large capacity for holding the debris that is relatively large in size.||$10.36||Stars 4.6/5|
|Purolator PL14610 PurolatorOne Oil Filter||It is capable of removing 99 percent of all of the dirt and debris that is found in your car’s oil.||$7.99||Stars 4.6/5|
|K&N HP-1003 Performance Wrench-Off Oil Filter||It features a heavy duty construction that is ideal for cold weather conditions.||$10.15||Stars 4.6/5|
1) Mobil 1 M1-110 Extended Performance Oil Filter
The first oil filter on our list is the Mobil 1 M1-110 Extended Performance Oil Filter. It is designed with a highly durable exterior that is constructed from aluminum material. This durable construction allows it to withstand nine times the operation capacity of a standard oil filter. It features an anti-drain back valve that keeps dirty oil from your engine, and it also helps prevent dry starts from occurring when the motor is not properly lubricated with oil.
With a 28 gram capacity, this filter is capable of holding a large amount of dust and debris before it needs to be replaced. Since the capacity level is so high, this filter was designed with high performance in mind; in fact, it is 99.6 percent efficient at removing all of the contaminants from the oil. Cleaning this amount of debris from the filter is so effective that it can actually extend the life of the filter.
2) Royal Purple 10-2835 Extended Life Oil Filter
The next oil filter on our list is one that is not as well known as the first one that we reviewed, but it is almost just as effective when it comes to performance. The outer shell of the device is designed to be extremely durable, and to match the name of the company that manufactured the produce, the exterior is a beautiful royal purple. In addition, the metal ends of the filter are designed to create a tight seal without much effort.
The filter utilizes a micro-glass media that is able to remove over 99 percent of the debris that can be found in the oil in your car before it reaches the motor. This filtration system can remove debris as small as 25 micros. The filter also features an anti-drain back valve that help prevent the oil from flowing back into the engine of your car each time that you start the ignition.
3) ACDelco PF2232 Professional Engine Oil Filter
The ACDelco PF2232 professional grade oil filter is one that is designed to be durable and dependable. It is capable of removing up to 98 percent of all of the debris that has entered into the oil that is circulating through your car. In fact, it can remove debris that is 25 to 30 microns in size, which is rather effective for an oil filter.
The body of this device is crafted from an aluminum material that has a highly effective seal. This seal is located at the base of the filter, which means that the seal will be more effective than many of the oil filters on the market, especially when the temperature rises because the engine of your car is running. In addition, the filter is designed with a high capacity so that the debris does not need to be cleaned as frequently. It is also designed to maintain a consistent flow that is not even hindered by a clog.
4) Bosch 3330 Premium FILTECH Oil Filter
Bosch, which is the company that manufactures the next oil filter on our list, is a company that is well known in the automotive industry. The exterior of the filter is designed from a sturdy, durable steel material that is perfect for ensuring that leaks and unwanted damage is prevented. The unit features a gasket design that has an extremely tight seal.
This specific oil filter utilizes FILTECH, which is a media technology that is designed to remove and filter out more contaminants than the average oil filter on the market. This additional filtration is a great way to protect your engine from sludge buildup and other contaminants that could reduce the life of your engine. This unit also has an anti-drain back valve that is made from silicone to help ensure that oil that is waiting to be filtered does not drain back into the engine when it starts.
5) Motorcraft FL2016 Oil Filter
The next oil filter on our list is one that is designed to remove contaminants like sand, dust, and bits of metal that could be in your car’s oil. It has a pressure release valve on the unit that is designed to help ensure that only the filtered oil reenters into the engine of your car. The contaminated particles are captured in the filtration system and kept from the engine. The exterior of the device is constructed from a steel material that was painted to ensure that rust does not compromise its durability.
The pressure release valve also makes it possible for the engine of the car to get the oil that it needs in extremely cold conditions as well as when a clog forms and blocks the filtration system. There is also an anti-drain back system that is placed on this oil filter that keeps dust and debris from entering the engine when the ignition first starts.
6) WIX Filters – 51348 Spin-On Lube Filter
The next oil filter on this list is one that is manufactured from WIX Filters. This spin-on lube filter is designed to remove contaminants in the oil of your car before it reaches the engine. It is crafted with a low oil flow design that allows smaller particles of dirt and debris to be caught in the filtrations system.
The area that keeps the debris separate from the oil is larger than many of the oil filters on the market, so it can hold quite a bit of contaminants before it needs to be replaced. The exterior is crafted from a durable material that is designed to give you miles of coverage without requiring a lot of maintenance or care.
7) Purolator PL14610 PurolatorOne Oil Filter
The Purolator PL14610 is the next filter on our list, and it is one that is perfect for most of the vehicles on the road, but it is exceptional for cars that have a lot of mileage. This oil filter is perfect for removing a large amount of dust and debris from the oil in your car; in fact, it can filter out at least 99 percent of all of the contaminants in the oil, which makes it great for synthetic oil blends.
The exterior of the device is made from wear resistant metal that helps to extend the life of the oil filter. In addition, it utilizes synthetic filter media that is designed to keep your motor clear from debris for up to 10,000 miles of use. There is also an anti-drain back valve in the filtration system to help keep the motor lubricated and prevent debris from going back into the engine before the contaminants are removed through the filtration system.
8) K&N HP-1003 Performance Wrench-Off Oil Filter
The final oil filter on our list is the K&N HP-1003 Performance Wrench-Off Oil Filter, and it is actually one of the most compatible oil filters available on the market because it can easily fit into any car, bus, truck, motorcycle, or ATV. It is also an effective system that is designed to filter out more than 99 percent of the contaminants that may be present in your car’s oil.
The exterior is crafted from an extremely durable material that is great for extending the life of the unit; especially when you are parking your vehicle and driving it in extremely cold conditions. It has a design that makes it easy to remove as well. In addition, there is also an anti- drain back valve on the device that keeps the contaminated oil from slipping back into the engine when you start the car.
If you own a vehicle, you need to purchase an oil filter from time to time, but the one that you select will determine how long it will last. It will also be one of the factors that determine how long your oil can be used in your vehicle. There are a lot of oil filters on the market and not all of them are created equally, so hopefully this guide helps you determine which filter is best for your vehicle.
If you are looking for our opinion on which of the oil filters above is the best option, then our suggestion would be the Motorcraft FL2016 Oil Filter. It is a durable filter that is designed to remove metal, sand, and dust particles before they reach the engine, and the unit is actually pained to resist rust and extend the life of the filter.
If you would sooner choose an oil filter that will provide you with more bang for your buck, then the Mobil 1 M1-110 Extended Performance Oil Filter is the perfect option. It is an extremely effective filter that removes more than 99 percent of the debris found in the oil in your vehicle, and it costs less than $10, which is very reasonable for this extended performance filter.